Skip to Content

Entire Family Dies After Young Woman Makes A Simple Mistake In The Kitchen

Vegetables are great for our bodies – they provide ample sources of vitamins, minerals and even traces of protein. They are also great sources of fiber, great for dieters who seek volume in their food. But what if they turn deadly when they go bad?

Ever heard of deaths caused by potatoes? You heard me right – a family in Russia was killed back in 2014 because of those!

Maria Chelysheva, an 8 year-old girl, survived the ordeal while the rest of her family were killed. The culprit was rotten potatoes, which contain glycoalkaloids – the compound of solanine and chaconine causes nausea, diarrhea, headaches and even death. Her family has mistakenly left a whole bunch of undisposed rotten potatoes in their basement.

Image Credit: Pixabay

Maria’s father and mother both disappeared in the basement and never come back up for dinner after the father offered to fetch some potatoes for the rest. Her mother went straight after he did.

Her brother and grandmother followed, falling to the victim of the toxins omitted by the nightshade vegetable.